I have had many different mentors in my lifetime, based on what my needs were during that time in my life. I have asked people to become my mentors who were where I wanted to be in business, financially, and in their marriage. I didn’t ask one person to coach me in all of these areas, but I sought out a different individual for each area. And what I found was that each individual held different attributes that were extremely helpful during the process. So much so, that I felt I needed to write a post about the qualities to look for in a mentor.
So, if I found the perfect mentor, here are the top ten qualities that this person would possess:
- A great mentor is a great listener.
- A great mentor is excited to encourage you.
- A great mentor seeks to understand.
- A great mentor has prior experience in your specific area of focus and handled it in a way that you agree with.
- A great mentor genuinely cares about your outcome.
- A great mentor is truthful with you and won’t sugarcoat the situation as they teach you.
- A great mentor believes in you, because they see your potential.
- A great mentor can develop a plan for you and will help you execute it.
- A great mentor isn’t there only to teach, but to learn from you as well. Learning from you will help their own journey, and will also help them in future mentoring relationships.
- A great mentor will teach from the mistakes they have made along the way, in hopes that you will have an easier journey.