You finally got a night away from the kids. It’s just you and your spouse. An evening alone, an evening doing adult things, an evening where you can do and say what you want.
You arrive at the restaurant, the hostess seats you, and……nothing. Another boring date night. Have you been there? Maybe you are there now?
With date nights like this, why even have them?
My wife and I understand the importance of date night. We do our best to make it consistent; to make it a staple in our relationship. But we’ve found ourselves in that very situation before. Out on the town and bored.
One culprit was a lack of variety in our date nights. Dinner and a movie can get old. On other occasions we found our conversation to be limited to “family business”…the kids and work. It was almost like we didn’t know one another outside of the life we built around our kids and our work.
How can we keep date night fresh and fun?
In order to keep date night fresh, and worth the “hassle” of getting baby sitters, staying out past your bed time, and putting on your “going out” clothes, something has got to change. But what can be done to change it? Perhaps some fresh date night ideas at our disposal, and a list of conversation starters to guide our dates to keep us from defaulting to kids and work talk.
Below are two lists. The first list has some great ideas for conversation starters. The second list has some creative and fun date night ideas to put your conversation starter ideas to use. Enjoy!
25 conversation starters to keep date night interesting.
- What is one area of communication that I am very good at, and one area I really need to work on?
- What are the top three goals you want to accomplish in the next 12 months?
- If money was not a factor, what would you choose to do the rest of your life?
- One thing I really enjoy doing with you is _______________. What is one thing you really enjoy doing with me?
- If you could witness one historical event what would it be?
- What can we do as a couple to make a change in the world?
- When have you felt most loved by me?
- What is your first memory of me?
- What are your biggest fears?
- How can we make our marriage “affair-proof?”
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- Do you think our marriage makes our kids, or other couples desire to be married?
- What would you say your biggest strength is? And mine?
- What is your favorite…food, color, book, bible verse, hobby, song, movie, sitcom, season, etc.?
- What is the very best time we’ve had as a couple?
- How can I encourage you more?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What is the most important lesson you learned from your parents?
- What is the dumbest thing you’ve ever done?
- Do you prefer “this or that”…for example: read or write, run or bike, camp or cruise, etc.
- What would you do with $1,000, or $1,000,000?
- Describe the perfect marriage?
- What actor/actress would play you in a movie about your life?
- How can I pray for you?
- What is one thing we can do today, that will make us better tomorrow?
25 fun date night ideas you will look forward to.
- Tandem bike riding.
- Train for an event.
- Cook a meal together, and/or take a cooking class.
- Read Song of Solomon together and discuss.
- Couples game night.
- Go-cart racing.
- Test drive very expensive cars.
- Karaoke at a local restaurant.
- Order take-out and camp-out with a tent in your back yard.
- Play Twister…just the two of you.
- Dance or exercise video games.
- Borrow or rent a musical instrument, and create a song.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen.
- Create lunch bags and drive around looking for homeless people to bless.
- Use your family membership for the zoo, museum, etc…go without kids.
- Movies in the park during the summer.
- Take a long lunch and go to a free daytime movie at the theater.
- Visit open houses.
- Take a walk.
- Go to a professional or college sporting event.
- Drive-in movie.
- Go to a corn-maze or pumpkin patch.
- Rent a room and act like you are out of town.
- Build or repair something.
Have you tried any of them? If so, please share in the comment section below. If not, share some of your ideas.