Loaded with awesome, easy-to-use features, WordPress is the perfect platform for the would-be blogger.
Here is a step-by-step, beginner’s guide to create your own self-hosted WordPress blog.
- Look for a web host. The host is where your website or blog “resides.” It is your property, but you have to pay a small fee to keep it. It’s essentially similar to when you pay the government for a property tax. Oqobo is who we recommend because of their 24/7 customer support and excellent service.
- Register your domain name. You can get your domain name (ex. thisismyblog.com) through your web host. If you already have a domain name registered with another host and you plan to stick with it, you have two options: you either transfer the domain registration to your host or point your name server to your new web host.
- Install WordPress. You may setup your WP account using your webhost or you can download the software through WordPress.org and then install it to your host. It’s important to note that using WordPress.org is different from setting up a free blog from WordPress.com.
- Choose a theme. One of the best features of self-hosting a blog using WordPress.org is its abundance of themes. Choose one from the countless blog designs, many of which are free. You may also upgrade the look of your blog with a custom theme, though this typically costs much more and requires a bit more tech-savvy.
- Log in and blog. The URL for your blog dashboard is thisismyblog.com/wp-admin. Once you have successfully logged in, choose “Posts,” and then click “Add New.” Now you’re ready to write!
That’s it! Congratulations! You’ve just published your first self-hosted WordPress.org blog. Good luck as you make your way on your blogging journey.