Empathy! What exactly is that? Most people think empathy is a synonym to sympathy. Though used interchangeably, and closely related, they are not the same thing. This video by Alan Seid of Cascadia Workshops is one of my favorite videos on how to do empathy. Forget the definition for a second. What does empathy look like? What can we do to show others we are being empathetic?
In this 10 minute video, Alan gives a definition, makes interesting distinctions, and gives some useful tips like:
- Empathy is our need to be fully heard in a deep way.
- Empathy does not mean agreement.
- Sympathy is knowing exactly how someone feels.
- Empathy requires you to practice your “followership” skills.
- If you want to get people to stop talking, be empathetic.
- Empathy allows the speaker to realize their own insights and advice, which people are more likely to follow.
- Empathy is not investigating, sharing your story, or giving advice.
What insights on bettering your communication skills did you learn from this video?