“Put more wood behind the spear point to truly deliver impact.”
That’s what one of my mentors would tell me when I started spreading my team (and myself) too thinly.
He was referring to the design of a Roman spear (pilum). They have a pyramidal iron point for penetration. The point is lethal, even against shields and armor because of the weight of the shaft – 10-12 pounds!
Leaders make a bigger organizational impact when they focus more weight behind the tip of the spear. Therefore, leaders must make choices.
- Getting to inbox zero daily may or may not matter.
- Participating in another committee may or may not matter.
- PowerPoint polish may or may not matter
- Doing the things which only you can do matters.
- Delivering your best creative, original work matters.
- Building relationships matters.
- Keeping promises matters.
- Rest & recovery matter.
A litmus test when you’re faced with choices: Five years from now, what will matter more?
Decide. Act. Stand firm.