“Genius is 1% inspiration – 99% perspiration.” – Thomas Alva Edison
What exactly does this quote mean? Let me explain. Genius is defined as exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability; (or) a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect; (or) such ability or capacity. As I have stated in previous articles, we are all creative in some respect. Our task consists of discovering where those creative juices lie. We all possess “such ability or capacity”. Seek that 1% inspiration then work as hard as you can to make it happen – the other 99% will be blood, sweat, and tears, but it will be worth it in the end.
In this short video, Heather Payne, founder of Ladies Learning Code speaks on “How to Turn Your Side Project Into a Full-Time Gig”. What I enjoyed most about this video was that she took a simple idea and turned it into a reality. With a simple tweet, email list, brainstorming session for like-minded individuals, and the selling of tickets for her first workshop, she launched what would become a multi-city organization in Canada. As an entrepreneur, she now has the flexibility to work on other projects, set her own work schedule, and enjoys the freedom of doing what she loves.
I hope you enjoyed Heather’s story of how she became an entrepreneur by turning a simple idea and inspiration into reality.