Success seems so elusive. As a small business guy/wantrapreneur, it’s easy to get discouraged looking around at story after story of self-made men. People who had nothing, came up with a brilliant idea and before long were reveling in success. Someone else had picked up on their genius and now that small company who no one believed in, is now being sold for hundreds of millions of dollars. All the while you are still sitting in the same chair, at the same desk, in the same building where you have slaved away for the last ten years in hopes of someday being part of something similarly successful.
The question is, are you really setting yourself up for success? Are you honestly working yourself to the bone, getting less and less sleep, and working harder every day?
If you said “no” to those questions, then you have your answer. You are not setting yourself up for success. However, there is hope.
Here are 8 things successful people believe and, more importantly, do on a regular basis:
- Successful people believe that it is better to be the best at something than the first to do something. Apple was not the first company to roll out a smartphone, but they are arguably the best smartphone provider of the last decade. Being first is not as important as being the best.
- Successful people believe in serving others before themselves. They lead by example and go out of their way to serve others and make people feel important. They don’t seek to be placed or recognized above others.
- Successful people believe doing is better than thinking up ideas all day. In order to be successful, you have to do more than dream and create ideas. You have to execute the ideas you come up with and make them happen. Bring your wild imaginative ideas off of paper and into real life. Can you imagine if the idea of a mobile computer had just stayed on paper and no one had bothered to work their tails off to bring it to life?
- Successful people believe the best opportunities are self-made. They know you cannot depend on other people and wait for them to get you what you need. You have to go out and make it happen yourself.
- Successful people embrace failures. They know we are all bound to fail at times, but often there is more to learn from a failure than there is from success. Successful people are always asking, “What can we do better next time?”.
- Successful people know and believe that success is about more than money. Money may make life easier, but it is never a true solution. Success is about working hard for something and being rewarded for the work. It is never about just making more money. That is a vain pursuit that will leave anyone feeling empty.
- Successful people believe in themselves. This is simple. Before you even consider being successful you have to believe in yourself. You have to know that you are capable of accomplishing the incredible.
- Successful people know it is far more valuable to be an expert in one thing than to be mediocre at five things. Be careful of spreading yourself too thin.
Being successful is more than just an achievement, it is a mindset. One that you have to prepare yourself for. Are you doing enough right now to prepare yourself for that moment? Are you working harder because you want to attain success in your field? Are you grinding day in and day out, not because you want to be rich, but because you want to make a difference?
By adding the 8 steps above, you will be that much closer to achieving your dreams and making an even bigger difference than you are right now.