I just finished watching The Academy Awards with my wife. It is probably the first time I’ve ever watched them. After watching a movie with our kids my wife asked if we wanted to watch the rest of the awards. I typically don’t get into these award shows, but I actually enjoyed watching it.
The best of the best
One of the things that got my attention was the big name stars in attendance. The Academy Awards represent the best of the best. The best of the best vote for each award, the best of the best show up to support the nominees, and of course the best of the best are nominated and given awards.
Those in attendance really understand their industry and what it takes to be successful in front of the camera as well as behind the camera. It all got me thinking. What if there was an Oscars for Marriage and Relationships. All chosen by others who have successful relationships and lasting marriages.
How would the nominees and winners be chosen? Below are things which make an award winning relationship. So, “the envelope please. And the award for best marriage…”
What makes the best marriages
- A great friendship. My wife and I have known each other for 21 years, 12 of those we’ve been married. When I moved to Indianapolis fresh out of college she was one of only two people in the city I knew besides my sister. We became pretty good friends, which eventually turned into dating, and ended with marriage and kids. The best marriages are made of couples who are not just lovers, but great friends.
- Honest communication. Communication and honesty is important in a relationship. For a relationship to thrive there has to be true honest communication. I mean being able to have those hard conversations. The chats when you are honest about your feelings, but you feel comfortable enough to talk about it openly knowing there won’t be any backlash, hard feelings, or judging.
- An attraction to one another. This attraction isn’t only physical, but emotional, intellectual, and spiritual. I can imagine relationships that only have the physical attraction will struggle when the physical attraction goes away with age. But when the attraction goes deeper than physical, there is a greater bond, which makes for a great marriage.
- A healthy respect. The longer you are in a relationship, the more you discover about your significant other. Sometimes what you discover you may not like or always agree with. But, the best marriages have a healthy respect even when a difference of opinion is present. No matter if you see things the same way, respecting your spouse and their differing opinions will help make for a great marriage.
- Love in action. The Bible says “the greatest of these is love.” The couples in the best marriages love one another with their actions. Yes, they say it. Yes, they feel love. But ultimately their love is expressed in their actions. Actions like patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control just to name a few.
So, if you want to walk that red carpet next to all the other great marriages, and enjoy the best marriage you can have, then make sure you have the above five things in your relationship. Then get prepared to accept all the benefits that come with having a successful and lasting marriage.
Without further ado the the award for best marriage goes to _____________ (insert your name here).