WordPress has quickly developed into one of the world’s premier content management systems. In fact, some estimate that as much as 23% of the internet is hosted with WordPress!
If you are planning to create your first blog with WordPress.com, don’t fret. Here is a beginner’s guide to creating your very own WordPress.com blog.
Getting Started with WP
- Go to WordPress.com.
- Click the “Create Website” button. You’ll be directed to another page where you can create your account.
- Fill in all the required fields of information. The last field will require you to create the unique URL of your blog. If what you’ve entered is still available, you’re good to go. Otherwise, you have to ensure that your URL hasn’t already been used.
- Choose which services you want for your blog. You can choose the free service, which is a good way to start.
- Complete your registration by activating it through the email that will be sent you.
Setting Up Your Blog
- Follow the Setup Wizard to set up your WP blog.
- Choose a title and a tagline for your blog. The latter is often a single liner that describes your blog or gives readers an idea of what your blog is about. Both title and tagline can be changed later on if you wish to.
- Pick a theme for your blog. The theme often dictates the overall mood and feel of your blog. There are hundreds of free WordPress themes that you can choose from. Pick one that closely reflects the central idea of your blog.
- Connect your blog to your social networking sites, but ONLY if you want to. You may connect it to your Facebook and/or Twitter accounts.
Writing Your First Post
- Open the dashboard of your blog. You can look for the button that says “Dashboard” on the page or simply go to http://YOURBLOGURL.wordpress.com/wp-admin/.
- Select “Post” and then “Add New” from the menu. You will be directed to another page.
- Write your content. Include photos, videos, and even quotes if you like. Don’t forget to add a title to your blog.
- Click the “Publish” button when you’re done.
That’s it! Congratulations! You’ve just published your first WP blog.
With this WordPress.com blog guide, you can set up a WP account in just a couple of minutes to kick-off your blogging journey.