This infographic comes from the Collaborative Lead Training Co. It shows eight differences between the traditional leader and the collaborative leader. When I read some of the characteristics of the traditional leader outlined here, I see that being a difficult leader to follow. One that, by their action or inaction, has failed to build trust. They have forgotten about the importance of developing a strong, united team over personal success.
The collaborative leader…
- doesn’t just give orders, they are in the game with the team.
- is as transparent as an open window, not a safe with a missing key.
- recognizes that he is not the only one with the answers, he relies on the team and encourages their feedback.
- pays attention to each team member individually and helps them to grow.
- knows that by empowering the team, the result is progress and personal growth
Collaborative leadership is a sure way to develop trust within a team and within the organization.
“The workplace is changing. Leadership is changing. The future is collaborative.” [Tweet-able!]
Do you see yourself leaning more towards the traditional leader or the collaborative leader?